Encroachment Permits are required anytime a person wishes to encroach upon a city right-of-way, sidewalk, street or easement. The permit assures the City that property will not be damaged and if so, that proper repairs are made.
Examples of activities that would require an encroachment permits include but are not limited to:
- Utility Installations including water, sewer, storm drain, fiber optics, telephone, cable, conduits, etc.
- Sidewalk, curb and gutter, driveway installation or repair
- Street and traffic lane closures
- Soil boring
- Stockpiling of materials on the street and/or sidewalk
- Equipment/structures on the street and/or sidewalkSign, post and fence installations
- Sign, post and fence installations
- Special events such as parades, car shows, farmer’s market, etc. which require closing of a city street
Why is an Encroachment Permit needed?
The purpose of an Encroachment Permit is to ensure the safety of the community during construction work in the public right-of-way as well as making sure the work meets city standards and protects existing city infrastructure and facilities.
Encroachment Permit application forms can be found here Encroachment Permit Application or can be obtained at the City of Rio Dell at 675 Wildwood Ave., Rio Dell. The Encroachment Permit application fee is $125.00
Note: Remember to call 811 before you dig.