The mission of the Rio Police Department is to create and maintain a climate of safety for the members of our community. The Members of the Department will accomplish this goal by training and equipping ourselves to vigorously investigate and prosecute crime. We will work to educate our citizens in methods of crime prevention, and provide resources for youth activities so that the citizens can participate in this goal. We believe our community will be improved when each citizen has the desire and knowledge to share our goals. The community and officers will be safer as a result.
The Department is budgeted for 6 full time employees; 1 Chief of Police, 1 Sergeant, and 4 Police Officers providing 24 hour police response to our community. Additionally, the County of Humboldt provides funding for one part-time clerical position in the department through Measure Z Revenue.
Photo from May, 2018
- 8:30am to 3:00pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday.
- 8:30am to 12:30pm Wednesday
Emergencies: Call 911
Business Line: (707) 764-5642
Dispatch: (707) 764-5641
The Rio Dell Police Department is responsible for animal control, nuisance abatement, and general law enforcement services.
Some general animal control information:
- The on-duty Police Officer serves as the Animal Control Officer.
- If it's a non-emergency call involving an animal please make an effort to contact the police during normal business hours
- If you call regarding a barking dog we will typically provie the dog owner with a warning. If the problem persists please do no hesitate to recontact us. If we do not hear from you we will assume the warning was sufficient and the problem is no longer occuring
- Dogs are required to be maintained on your property unless they are leashed. It is unlawful to tie your dog to a fixed point for a prolonged period of time (three hours) and they must have access to food, water and shelter. There are alternatives to tying your dog to a fixed point that arfef more humain to your dog including a dog, run, a large kennel area, and a properly fenced yard.
- It is unlawful to have more than three dogs if you reside within city limits.
- We encourage dog owners to have their pets spayed or nuetered. There are programs available for financial assistance and we are happy to assist residents in trying to locate that assistance
Some general information on Code Enforcement:
- The Police Department handles initial calls regarding nuisance abatement and complaints should be directed to this department
- The city has broken the city up into pre-designated areas and abatement proceedings initiated by the city rotate throughout the year based on those pre-designated areas. Additionally the city will handle spsific complaints throughout the year regardless of whether they are in the pre-designated area the department is currently working on
Forms (most forms area avilable through the City Clerks Office and can be obtained in peson, but these are some of more frequently requested form)